BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Beginning

I woke up this morning extremely motivated to get a lot done today.  I finally have the opportunity to spend a morning at home doing what I want to do.  I was going to go shopping for some new spring clothes, clean the house, and perhaps go to the store and buy some food.  Instead, here I am, sitting at my computer starting a blog.  It seemed like a good idea, and I'm pretty sure my dirty dishes will still be there when I'm done (unfortunately).

Now, this blog isn't going to be all that personal.  That is probably the last time I will mention that my sink is full of dirty dishes, and Tyler has to bring ramen noodles to work for lunch because we have no food.  I want to talk about my teaching experience (or lack there of for now).  This journey into the world of teaching has been frustrating, difficult, exhausting, exciting, fun, and basically just a roller coaster of different emotions.

I graduated college last May with my degree in Elementary Education.  I was convinced by June I would have a secured job for the following September.  June went by, then July, then August...September came and I began changing my job search to maternity positions, leave of absences, aide positions, anything that would get me into a school and out of my retail job.  Finally October rolled around and I hadn't had so much as an interview.  Endless hours sitting on my computer with a pain in my shoulder from not looking up had resulted in nothing; no job, no interview, no hope, and a complete lack of motivation.  I started doubting myself and my abilities, but soon realized they never even met me, no school even saw what I was capable of.  I was another resume in one of their many stacks.  There was no reason to doubt myself, because I knew I was a great teacher.

A few days later, I finally got a call for an interview.  I was ecstatic!   It was a part time aide position in the town that I lived in.  I could walk to the school if I wanted.  I prepared myself, went in confident, and got the job!  I was very excited, then not so excited when I realized I would still need to keep my retail job.  So here I am 6 months later working two jobs.  I finish up at the school, come home and eat lunch, then go on to job number  two until 10:00 at night.  It's a busy life, which is why I'm so excited to finally be on spring break and have the opportunity to get things done.

Now, as the school year starts to come to an end I find myself constantly on the computer searching for teaching jobs once again.  I have already put in many hours filling out applications, writing essays, and praying hard.  My thoughts are taken over by my constant daydreaming of having my own classroom and being able to teach.  I want to share with everyone my funny stories, exciting times, and my frustrations along my journey in providing students with their education....the most valuable gift they will ever receive.

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty" -Albert Einstein

0 comments: